Wednesday 18 February 2015

My sober week

So here I am finally catching up on sober-life, I'm so sorry this is so late, but here we go and how I've missed you all, thank you so much for your kind comments so far I really appreciate it all. My sober week, last weekend, but the one past, I went to London and caught up with some other sober ladies and how exciting was that. We nattered for hours and whilst I was nervous, I was more excited than scared for once in my life. I've never been so happy to sit and honestly be me, ever before, not a bit of confusion as to how I am, and to talk about sober in my real life, was fabulous. As well as all the other things we talked about. And enjoyed a Beetini mocktail, out of a very swanky jam jar in a dry-restaurant called Redemption.
It was challenging being out of my comfort zone in a city I've only been to three times in my entire life. But, armed with a good bit of planning and some 'tube' training I managed quite nicely. I also took the time to visit a friend who was local and catch up with her and her husband, in person for once, rather than on the phone. So a great time. I'll write more about it, I'm sure later. My main message from all of this would be, if you get a chance to talk to sober people, DO IT. Meet up, talk, hug and exchange stories, its really helped to strengthen my resolve. And, so I went to London and looked after only me for the whole weekend, what a sober treat.
I landed home with a bang. So much going on but always time to take time for me, go and walk, think and contemplate. After my therapy session on Tuesday I found myself walking on the rocks of a beach, gently placing my foot from one to another, choosing my path, thinking about each step. It made me think of this sober journey and how each choice is like a stepping stone, not necessarily in a logical order, but working towards a better me. I like that. Of course I fell off a big rock, but hey what's life without a few falls.......makes us know we're alive. 
Wednesday I went to my group session and celebrated 130 days, a mixed week for many folks and whilst it was nice to share my successes it was also nice to share strategies for keeping sober, learning more about why urges strike and how to cope with them. Like waves, they come and go. And like my number, the sea washed it away too quickly. 
I'm grateful the next number I wrote was 131 the next day. But, it so easily could have been a new day one if I'm not careful and look after myself so I'm still really focussing on self care. From Wednesday the week sort of disappeared. I heard I got a new job and whilst they said start in March, I ended up starting the next day for an evening shift. Now, normally if I got told you need to work 3pm-10pm at an event, I'd be thinking of how to plan my wine drinking for after. This time I just thought, I'm available, I don't need to worry about driving or drinking or whatever. I'm just available. That's a huge change for me. Sober.
Ok so starting work at an evening event with burgers and hot cider beside me on my first day. Not so great. I mean the burgers smelt lovely and the hot cider all gingery and scrummy smelling. I found myself saying, and god knows why I did, I gave up drinking a while ago. feel so much better for it, so no thanks. 
And, yes I got offered it at work, yes folks got offered it who'd driven,  the drivers to be fair didnt' take any. Cursing the change in the law. But I told my first stranger, I don't drink. I worked at this event for three nights, by the fourth evening, the lady said, I'm so sorry I keep offerring, you but you don't drink do you.  No I said I don't. 
So I kept on doing my lines and writing plant labels, sober. It seems like a nice place to work with lots going on so I'm keen to do well and keep myself sober and happy. Nice to go to work without the obligatory painkillers in my lunch box, just in case.
Squeezing in walks and organising my work meals has been hard work this week, but I've remembered that if I don't look after me, it doesn't help me stay sober. And, there's so much to be sober for. Like a new job working with these cute flowers, like a better, happier me, I'm better sober. Spring is really on its way.
A friend saw my post about being offered buckfast (a tonic wine) on the train in December, so she sent me this card and a cute bag she found to say happy new job. Only in Scotland would Buckfast at Tiffany's mean something so different, and not unlikely! It made me laugh.
And last week of course, Valentines day arrived. No pink champagne here, just some flowers, a day of walking and lunches out.  The sun came out and it was very spring like, very warm and the beaches filled up a bit.
                But, we found a few empty spots. A day of hand holding and laughing with my husband. 
More chat about potentially leaving drinking to other people. A really close day which ended with a lovely supper of seafood and bread with a bottle of something cold and non-alcholic from the fridge, just because we can. And my poor fridge doesn't know what's hit it, such variety.
Have you noticed though, when the wine aisle loses its appeal, there's so much f**ing juice in the world and so much choice. I've been blind before I found sober. My current favourite is Beetroot, its gorgeous red hue luxuriously smears my glass with its glossy goodness. And its yummy too.

So I've a day of a bit of work, a bit of recovery SMART group and a few chores later. My sober week, this time has been a bit full, but its settling down. A new job to enjoy and a sober working girl. Who'd have thought it. Happy sober week folks.

20 comments:

  1. I am smiling as I read your post. I have pure happiness for you!! You sound terrific. Good luck with your new job. KT

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love seeing your number in the sand! So jealous of the London meet up! Not only have I never been anywhere NEAR London, I've not yet met up with any of my new sober friends. Not sure why I am meeting so many people that are SO far away!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Generally I'm not near london either. But, never say never eh? Hugs to you. Maybe there is travel in your future.....

      Delete
  3. I love reading your weekly update posts! You sound great, and the pics are marvellous. I love beet juice too (that'a what we call it in Canada). Here's to you, keeping on being fantastic!!! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've just found beetjuice, love love love it. Thank you.

      Delete
  4. Wonderful post. I just love your beach photos - am working on my sympathetic joy instead of envy ;)
    I know what you mean about the juice. Have you noticed it with tonic water, too? How many different flavours of it there are? I never knew!
    Good luck with the new job! And a happy sober week to you too :) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tonic is epic and until now, no only made sure it didn't mask the gin. LOL. Must pour a cold one tonight and try again to taste those tones. Don't be too jealous of beaches, they just put sand in your pieces. (sandwiches)

      Delete
  5. Hi Daisy
    my heart was melting for you. what a lovely place/space you are in. you so deserve it. you are totally brilliant. and I too am meeting REAL SOBER PEOPLE too and it is amazing and freeing. yeeha for us
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. REAL SOBER PEOPLE ROCK as do you lovely lot. And thank you!

      Delete
  6. So much happiness in this post Daisy I don't know where to start! SO lovely to meet you :) Congrats on your new job!! Just back from a run where I was surrounded by snowdrops and now I will think of you whenever I see them. Finally the Buckfast card made me LOL :D Happy days Daisy happy days xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. SHHHH don't scare it away, its quite shy this happiness malarkay.

      Thank you so much an buckfast at breakfast, what a thought eh?

      Delete
  7. I've missed your posts :) Happy 131 (132) days and congrats on the new job. So glad to hear you enjoyed yourself in London. New sober adventures! Lori K xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lori- I hope you're well too.

      Delete
  8. this was a fantastic post to read - full of hope and excitement but also very grounded in reality and consciousness that this sober lark needs to be focused on to make sure it stays put...

    smiling at the price on your wild garlic labels. I reckon that makes me a gazilionnaire :)

    keep up the good work with this sober malarkey and thank you for an uplifting post! Prim xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh send me a load and we can be gazzilionaires together - 25 little buggers in the pots. Thank you Prim, what a nice compliment to pay me.

      :D

      Delete
  9. I think I have a lot of catching up to do before Sunday! Agree meeting others who just get it is the best.
    Rx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looking forward to it Rachel!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's nice that you've kept to your commitments and have integrated them into a social circle, with which to maintain and uphold them. That is a good strategy for internalizing sobriety, and I admire you for that. Keep it up! Thanks for sharing that, Daisy! All the best to you!

    Natalie Lamb @ The Good Life Therapy Centre

    ReplyDelete